Friday, September 10, 2010

Sowing seeds! (Or, maybe, part 2 of "simply being")

Yesterday I had a great meeting with a community organizer who has really taken me under her wing since I got here, which has helped me immensely and for which I am very grateful. She got back from Peace Corps in Guatemala 10 months ago, and she told me what someone told her during a tough time there - that you're "either sowing seeds or harvesting fruit."

I am hopeful that there will be some fruit to harvest this year. However, this week I have realized how important it is to not harvest until the fruit is ripe, and that sowing seeds will still be very exciting and rewarding.

This weekend is pretty busy but in a great way! I'm excited that I want to do the same things for my life at home that I do for work. Tomorrow morning at 9 am I'm going to go to an Empower Omaha breakfast and meeting for networking and getting myself educated about the current scene in North O, where I live (I work in South O). Then in the afternoon I'll come down to St. Luke's for youth group, and afterwards probably stick around for the Bicentennial celebration of Mexican independence which is going on this weekend right down the street from St. Luke's, in the heart of South O where many of the businesses are Latin@ owned and operated. There's Spanish everywhere and it's pretty sweet. I think there is going to be food and music and fireworks.

On Sunday, my five LVC housemates and I are being honored at a commissioning service at Trinity Lutheran Church, where one of my housemates works, two blocks away from our house. I think there's going to be a picnic afterwards, and then later that afternoon at least some of us will go to our neighborhood association meeting and picnic. This Sunday is apparently national Rally, Block Party and Eat A Lot of Food Day.

And it also feels like a big weekend because of the anniversary of 9/11 and the strong feelings that are flaring.  I was reminded yesterday, in talking with a friend, that the pastor who wants to burn the Quran (Koran? if someone could help me with the spelling I'd greatly appreciate it) leads a very small church and yet is getting a very very large amount of attention. Thanks, media sensationalism? And a non-sarcastic thank you, everyone who is speaking out publicly in support of being nice to each other. I had a huge impulse all week to write out a sign that said "I am a Christian and I don't want to burn a Koran today" and going downtown with it tomorrow, but I was so happy to find out about the meeting that I'm going to in the morning because that feels more productive to me.

Life is so exciting, my friends! Get out there and enjoy it!

PS. Mad mad props to Oberlin College Religious Life people for the work they are doing this weekend....Heather, Allie, Duane, Hammonds, Greg and I know there are plenty of others!!! I am so proud of you!!!!! Just about a month until I visit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment