Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The soil is very good, but the plants still need a lot of water and sunlight.

Sometimes I forget to celebrate the good things. So,

-I'm alive, if a bit congestedly so today, and in a warm house on a night with negative degree windchills. Amen.
-I turned 23 ten days ago.
-I will never forget the excitement in my after-school program girls' eyes as they came running into the basement to hug me on the first day of the program in 2011. 
-Congregation members signed up to volunteer for the Wednesday evening community meal, some are very excited about it, and no one has voiced any strong objections to it.
-Last night, I went to the ordination of an African-American woman in a church that fifty years ago had congregation members who were opposed to interracial conversation and worship, as documented in A Time For Burning. The pastor who preached was black, and afterwards I was so happy to see the signs proclaiming Augustana Lutheran as a Reconciling in Christ congregation.

Really, a lot of good things are happening. I feel the presence of concerned people who want people of all skin colors and immigration histories to be welcome in Nebraska and the USA.

Still got work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment