Monday, February 28, 2011

Reconciliation.

En route to a meeting at another church today, I saw a sign in the front yard of a house that faces the park separating that house's neighborhood of bigger, wealthier-looking homes from the neighborhood where Grace is located with smaller, not-as-wealthy looking homes. The sign said something like "Pray to end Abortion."

Soon, Wednesday evening meals at St. Luke's will begin being cooked by the different church groups that will cook for Lent. One of the leaders of a women's circle has agreed to start the meal at 5:30 instead of 6 like it has been in the past, but she has said she will not provide food for more than 50 people.

These two incidents have made me want to explain what I believe and why I'm doing what I'm doing. (For example, not wanting the government to cut federal funding from Planned Parenthood because those people already breathing air, walking on the ground, and capable of reasoning decisions about their lives need to be supported, and organizing a group effort to provide food and hospitality to neighbors in need, and seriously, I think we all benefit from hospitality).

They also make me want to hear why the man I saw standing on the porch of that house wants me to pray to end abortion - does his religion teach him that abortion is evil? - and why the woman has said she will limit the amount of food she provides.

I don't want to hear their whys because I want to prove them wrong. I want to listen and hear their feelings.

I want to offer a prayer for calm, reasonable thinking and peaceful discussion and action in the events that are coming in the days ahead, including the hearing of the proposed Illegal Immigration Enforcement Act in the State Capitol of Nebraska, the determining of Libya's future, and the discussion of the national budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment